We continue our quest form last week to hit the most interesting mechanisms of catastrophic sedimentation, talk about a new notebook, and learn how to give cosmic CT scans.
- Oklahoma flooded significantly this year!
- I–35 Rockslide
- Oregon Landslide
- Afghanistan river of rock
- Colorado Springs, CO flash flooding
Weather Related Sedimentation
- Flood deposits
- The Emerald Mile – Kevin Fedarko
- Hurricane Deposits
- Hurricane Sandy deposited 3cm in Delaware Bay
- 1900 Galveston Storm
- Isaac’s Storm – Erik Larson
Fun Paper Friday
This week we learn how cosmic rays can be used to see through buildings, insulation, and concrete to provide easy scans without the need for expensive and complex radiation sources.
Durham, J. M., Guardincerri, E., Morris, C. L., Bacon, J., Fabritius, J., Fellows, S., et al. (2015). Tests of cosmic ray radiography for power industry applications. AIP Advances, 5(6), 067111–9. http://doi.org/10.1063/1.4922006
Shannon Dulin – @ShannonDulin