This week Shannon is grading, John is modeling (numerically), and they both are mad about some graphs they have seen.
- We are colorblind
- Tableau20 Colors
- Rainbow Color Map (Still) Considered Harmful
- A Better Default Colormap (video)
- Perceptual Color Maps in matplotlib for Oceanography (video)
- Evaluation of Artery Visualization for Heart Disease Diagnosis (Borkin et al.)
- Make everything bigger than you think it needs to be!
- Edward Tufte
- Flowing Data
- Visualize This (Book)
- Data Points (Book)
- The Craft of Scientific Presentations (Book)
- Presentation Zen (Book)
- Data Fluency (Book)
- Ask people that make things you like!
Fun Paper Friday
This week we talk about thundersnow and the Trump tower. How can buildings strike clouds?
- Warner, Tom A., Timothy J. Lang, and Walter A. Lyons. “Synoptic scale outbreak of selfâinitiated upward lightning (SIUL) from tall structures during the central US blizzard of 1–2 February 2011.” Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres 119.15 (2014): 9530–9548.
- EOS Press Release