This week we talk about Bill Nye, earthquake magnitudes, and coffee.
- Earthquake Size (C. Ammon)
- Challenge is that earthquakes span a huge dynamic range. We measure ground displacements over about 9 orders of magnitude.
- Largest Earthquakes in the World Since 1900
- Kiyoo Wadati
- Richter magnitude scale
- Book: Richter’s Scale: Measure of an Earthquake, Measure of a Man
- Wood Anderson Seismometer
- Body wave magnitude
- Core Shadow Zone
- Surface wave magnitude
- Seismic moment
- Moment magnitude
- Example Seismogram
- USGS Earthquake Notification Service
- Harvard GCMT emails and catalog
- Earthquake Storms – Dvorak
- Introduction to Seismology – Shearer
- An Introduction to Seismology, Earthquakes, and Earth Structure – Stein & Wysession
Fun Paper Friday
- Do you like bitter tasting things? A study says that it tells something about your personality. Do you buy it?
- Article about paper “Black Coffee Equals Black Hearts”
- Sagioglou, Christina, and Tobias Greitemeyer. “Individual differences in bitter taste preferences are associated with antisocial personality traits.” Appetite 96 (2016): 299–308.
Shannon Dulin – @ShannonDulin