Last week we told you about many different map projections and talked about why they are all wrong. This week we’ll discuss a few of our favorites, why we like them, and when they fail us. We also have another Star Wars themed Fun Paper Friday!
Picking a Projection
- Consider what you need
- For dot density plots, equal area is important
- Mercator projection
- Gnomonic projection
- Great circle distance
- Great circle
- Compare landmasses to Africa.
- Mercator puzzle
- Wikipedia lists over 60 different projections!
- Strangest: Hammer retroazimuthal projection or Waterman Butterfly Projection
- Most boring/overused: Mercator Projection or Web Mercator
- Pleasing whole-world: Robinson , Winkel tripel projection, or Armadillo
- Polar Regions: Stereographic Projection or Pierce Quincuncial Projection
Fun Paper Friday
Shannon Dulin – @ShannonDulin