This week we talk about Hot Springs, the geologic feature and the town in Arkansas. Shannon is going there to visit and have students map the town’s complex geology and see the hot waters. We also scream about this week’s fun paper and the spectral characteristics of screams, alarms, and music.
- Mineral Springs
- Hot Springs, Arkansas
- Hot Springs National Park
- Geologic Map
- Geologic Resources Inventory Report – Hot Springs
- Ouachita orogeny
- Spring Boxes
Interesting Rock Types
Fun Paper Friday
- Do you ever want to just scream? Now you’ll understand the spectral character of your scream and how it triggers the flight or fight response in those around you!
- Arnal, Luc H., et al. “Human screams occupy a privileged niche in the communication soundscape.” Current Biology 25.15 (2015): 2051–2056.
- Gizmodo Article about this Research
Shannon Dulin – @ShannonDulin