- AnnMarie Thomas (Univ. St. Thomas) “Making Makers”
- Jason Kessler and Jon Ruston talked about ULTRASCOPE
- Mach 30 president J. Simmons showed new cad/modeling linked tools that they are using to create open thrusters, rockets, etc.
- Yavin cold gas thruster as test bed
- Joshua Pearce showed how open hardware in science can save us a bundle think of all the outdated lab equipment sitting around unsupported.
- Checkout Joshua’s book “Open-Source Lab” and new “Building open source hardware” by Alicia Gibb
- Bruce Boyes on the Wright Brothers and Patents
- Open prosthetic development
- Open fluid chemistry for biology studies with an Arduino shield
- Open Hardware Certification
Fun Paper Friday
- This fun paper looks at how using ice shells can reduce drag and some of the non-intuitive physics behind it.
- Gizmodo article
- Vakarelski, I. U., Chan, D. Y. C., & Thoroddsen, S. T. (2015). Drag Moderation by the Melting of an Ice Surface in Contact with Water. Physical Review Letters, 115(4), 044501–4. http://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.115.044501
Shannon Dulin - @ShannonDulin